| || |
Thursday May 18th 2017
Sign In: 5pm-8pm
Friday May 19th 2017
Captain’s Meetings at 11am & 6:30pm
Tournament Fishing 12 noon- 6pm
Sign In: 10am-Noon
Sandwiches & Salads 7pm
Saturday May 20th 2017
Sign In: 6am-9am
Tournament Fishing 5am to 7pm
Sunday May 21st 2017
Tournament Fishing 5am to 12 noon
Awards Ceremony and Luncheon 1pm
Welcome to the 2017 Kayak Fishing Classic at Jamaica Bay Tournament Page
Thursday, May 18th to Sunday, May 21st 2017, Floyd Bennett Field, Brooklyn NY.
I’m excited to announce that the tournament has again been chosen as one of the tournaments in the United States as a qualifier for the 2017 Hobie Fishing Worlds 7 Championship. The dates and location will be announced shortly by Hobie. We would like to thank all past and present participants and sponsors for supporting this tournament and continuing to make it a World Class Event.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE WILL BE NO ON-SITE REGISTRATION THIS YEAR
We will target Striped Bass, Bluefish, Weakfish and Summer Flounder (Fluke) if in season (if not Fluke should not be targeted).
The focus at this Catch & Release Event will be on sustainability to include Recycling and Leave No Trace practices.
The Kayak Fishing Classic at Jamaica Bay will be here real soon. We are all ready for some warmer weather and the feel of that tug on the line. The Kayak Fishing Classic at Jamaica Bay is a great way to catch the first fish of the year and hook up with old and make some new friends, all for the benefit of worthy causes. Those of us who share the enthusiasm for the sport of Kayak Fishing know this is a premier event that shouldn’t be missed.
Please read the tournament information below. Click on the links at the bottom of the page for FAQ’s and sign-up to be part of the largest gathering of kayak anglers in the Northeast.
See you in May,
Capt. Jerry & Staff
2017 KAYAK FISHING CLASSIC TOURNAMENT INFORMATION
1. PARTICIPATION AND ELIGIBILITY: Participation is open to anyone 18 years of age or older.
Minors are eligible to register and participate with a parent or guardian who also participates in the event. Minors must have the signature of his or her parent or legal guardian on the entry form as applicable to any state, commonwealth, county, or federal regulations or law. The obligation to know these rules falls upon the parent. A completed entry form and entry fee must be received no later than the published deadline.
2. AWARDS: will be presented in 5 categories if the division criteria have been met. Within each of the competitive division there will be first, second and third. In the registration raffle, prizes will be awarded by the pulling of numbers and the total number of prizes in the raffle will be determined by the number of donated items.
Targeted Species (Striped Bass, Bluefish, Weakfish, Fluke if in season).
Open Division – longest fish caught of targeted species.
Fly Division - longest fish caught by fly rod of targeted species.
Junior Division - longest fish caught by a person under 18 years of age of targeted species.
Electric Division – longest fish caught in an electric powered kayak of targeted species.
Grand Slam - will be determined by the longest aggregate measurement of the 3 largest of the targeted species, 3 of the 4 if Fluke in season (Striped Bass, Bluefish, Weakfish, Fluke if in season). Electric division cannot enter in Grand Slam.
If there is a tie between species Striped Bass takes presidence.
If the situation arises that no one satisfies the GRAND SLAM with 1 of each of the targeted species then for the purposes of the Qualifier for the Hobie Worlds the 2 largest Striped Bass and one or two of the other targeted species (Bluefish, Weakfish or Fluke if in season) will determine that winner.
FOR THE PURPOSES OF THE HOBIE WORLD'S
DUE TO MEASUREMENTS BEING SO SUBJECTIVE, THE TOP 6 PARTICIPANTS WHO SATISFY THE GRAND SLAM WILL BE PUT IN A DRAWING TO DETERMINE THE INDIVIDUAL GOING TO THE HOBIE WORLD'S EVENT.
FLUKE MAY NOT BE TARGETED UNLESS THEY ARE IN SEASON.
****Tournament organizer has final word on determining winners.****
The Grand Slam will be the Division to determine the Qualifier for the Hobie Fishing Worlds Championship. If the Grand Slam Division is not satisfied then the two largest Striped Bass and one of the other targeted species (Bluefish, Weakfish or Fluke (if in season)) will determine the winner for the purposes of the Hobie Worlds Qualifier.
We reserve the right to consolidate divisions based on lack of participation.
3. SAFETY: Safe boating will be observed at all times. DURING COMPETITION, EACH CONTESTANT IS REQUIRED TO FOLLOW U.S. COAST GUARD REGULATIONS INCLUDING POSSESSION OF COAST GUARD APPROVED TYPE III PERSONAL FLOTATION DEVISE (PFD), 360 DEGREE LIGHT, AND A WHISTLE IS MANDATORY AND MUST BE ON BOARD. TOURNAMENT RULES REQUIRE THAT A CLASS III PFD BE WORN AT ALL TIMES WHILE IN A KAYAK. A Safety flag and a VHF Radio, while not mandatory, ARE HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
4. FISHING TIMES: Friday 12noon to 6pm, Saturday 5am to 7pm, Sunday 5am to 12 Noon. All entrants wishing to enter a fish must do so at the tournament tent site before scheduled ending times each day (fish can be entered any time before that time). Tournament fishing is only allowed during safe day light hours. No pictures of fish taken at night will to be allowed to be entered for prizes. During the event it is possible that due to dangerous weather participants will be asked not to enter the water until a period of better conditions – any person not complying will be disqualified from the event.
5. FISHING LICENSE: While there is NO Saltwater Fishing License in New York State you must comply with the NYS Recreational Marine Fishing Registry. Please register to avoid any issues with law enforcement officials
6. CAMPING: The event permit entitles all registered participants access to and camping in the park starting Thursday at 6am. If you want to extend your fishing or camping before 6am on Thursday May 18th or after 5pm on Sunday May 21st, a separate park camping permit must be purchased. Only camping in designated camp sites will be permitted before Thursday at 6am. THERE WILL BE NO SETTING UP OF TENTS ETC. ON THE TARMAC PRIOR TO THURSDAY AT 6AM. NO EXCEPTIONS. You will be asked to move and advised to purchase a camping permit. THE PARK HAS ADVISED US THAT PARKING ON ANY GRASS AREAS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. THE PARK POLICE WILL BE ISSUING SUMMONSES THIS YEAR.
7.COMMUNICATIONS: The use of mobile communication is allowed and encouraged. VHF Channel 6 will be monitored by tournament officials.
8. SPORTSMANSHIP: All contestants are required to follow high standards of sportsmanship, courtesy and conservation. Intoxication will be cause for immediate disqualification. No alcoholic beverages or the use of illegal drugs is allowed. This rule extends through and includes signing of the check-in form at tournament headquarters. The illegal use of drugs, participation in any criminal activities, or other conduct reflecting unfavorably upon efforts to promote safety, sportsmanship, fair competition and compliance with tournament rules and the law are grounds for disqualification and/or rejection of any applicant from participation. This will also entail the return of any prizes awarded. Legal remedy will be sought if necessary.
9. PERMITTED FISHING METHODS: All fish must be caught live via hook and line by bait or artificial lure. Entries to the Fly division are not permitted to have any other fishing outfits besides fly rods and reels and are required to launch from the registration area following inspection by a judge.
10. PROHIBITED: There is absolutely NO FERRYING (i.e. using another vehicle or boat, motorized or not to transport your kayak to fishing location while on the water.)
11. PERMITTED FISHING LOCATIONS: Anywhere in Jamaica Bay East of Marine Parkway Bridge. You can launch from any place that gives you legal access to the Bay, but you must register and photograph your kayak at the Floyd Bennett Field launch. All entries into the fly division must launch at Floyd Bennett Field.
Note: In order to protect wildlife and sensitive marsh habitat, entry into salt marshes or onto any islands in Jamaica Bay is not permitted.
- During the hours of competition, contestants may not obtain or receive assistance, including but not limited to following a non-competitor's boat, the placing of markers by any non-competitor, towed by or a passenger on motorized vessels or electronic, voice or data communication from a non competitor...
- All participants must have with them a vessel like a kayak or canoe. Other vessels will be permitted at the discretion of the tournament committee. No combustion engines permitted on the boat during the event. Contestants may leave the boat to stand or to wade while fishing but must be in SIGHT OF THEIR BOAT. Kayaks, canoes or permitted electric motorized craft are the only mode of on-the-water transport allowed.
12. SCORING: Catch and release criteria, will be determined by total length of the longest fish: for the Grand Slam the combined total lengths of 3 or 4 fish of the target species. Each contestant must have a digital camera to take pictures and enter pictures for prizes. Please have an empty data card in your camera. There will be posters placed at the tournament tent each day. You must take a picture of the poster each day and it must be followed by the fish you wish to be entered for prizes. Fish must be photographed in or on boat, (vessels should be distinguishable in photo) next to provided tape measure. It is recommended that you fish with a buddy not only for safety reasons but for the assistance in taking pictures. It is required to take a picture against the tape measure and requested that you take some holding the fish under its belly with you in the picture. The photo on the tape must show clearly the length of the fish. Total length is determined from the tip of the lower jaw to the end of the tail. The judging committee makes the call and the tournament director is the final authority on length but will not change the ruling of the judging committee. The tournament Director is not liable for photo processing and condition of cameras. In the event of a tie the most visibly larger fish of contestant's catch will be used to break tie. Only Striped Bass, Bluefish, Weakfish or Fluke (if in season) can be entered for prizes. Fish taken for consumption may not be entered into the tournament.
13. RELEASE OF LIABILITY: A waiver and release of liability statement is part of the entry form. It is required of each contestant that they take responsibility for themselves while participating in any tournament activities.
14. RULE CHANGES: Rule interpretation will be left exclusively to the tournament directors; decisions of the tournament director are final in all matters and are not subject to appeal.
15. There will be no selling of any products in the park. Persons observed or found to be selling any type of products will be disqualified from the tournament and asked to leave the park. This is a park rule and violation could jeopardize the future of the tournament.
**Click Here To Register**
Hobie Qualifier Info